Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Aljur Abrenica on Manila Bulletin Students and Campuses (with pics)

And here it is!
--------------------------------

His Summer Hunkness
Young Actor/Model Aljur Abrenica bares his other side to celebrity guest contributor Bela Padilla...

Article Written by Bela Padilla
Photos by Reydian Tianero of Illuminta
Creative Direction by Jaser Marasigan
Styling by Jp Diche
Make up by Rhina Montemayor
Hair by Dave Grona
Clothes from Bench

MANILA, Philippines — 

Dear diary,
April 25, 2011
They say, to know a person, you have to spend some time with them. Fortunately, I was able to spend a lot of time with Aljur, because just like everybody else, I slowly became intrigued. I found myself wondering how he shows the same amount of consistency for everything and everyone he loves. Now, I know most of you have been wondering too. So to get an idea of what he’s really like, let me give you a sneak-peek of something I wrote about him while we were still taping for Machete… enjoy!


Feb. 4, 2011
Despite the number of times I’ve seen this look on Aljur, its effect is still as strong as the first time. At 2 o’clock in the morning, as we wait for the production assistants to call us for our next scene, he goes under a flight of stairs and holds on to the eighth step and starts pulling himself up, his legs going as far as his torso. Another one of his “impromptu exercises.”
A look of pure concentration is etched on his face. I notice that from the moment we were introduced to each other two months ago, he has been very consistent, his movements always sure. His stance, filled with an easy and harmless confidence; his head always held up high, as he jumps down and stretches from side to side he starts singing “Hey Jude.” This makes me laugh.
Earlier, he was singing an Air Supply song, giving the people around him a glimpse of who he is and what he really loves. Because beyond the sculpted-toperfection body, is a man-child, who sleeps in between takes and eats Skittles like rice.

So I look at what everyone’s fussing about. From his toes (which are exceptionally clean for someone who’s been doing stunts all morning), to his strong, toned legs…past his bahag…to his abs…I let my eyes linger as I  count…two…four…six…ah yes, just as it should be! Higher to his proud chest and biceps, up his neck, to his strong and chiseled jaw line, to his lips that are still moving to the tune of “Hey Jude”, to his contoured cheeks, and
finally, I end up at his eyes. My gaze stays longer than I intend to, as finally I find what everyone stares at. The strongest, most intense part of Aljur that isn’t toned or helped by strict diets or hours in the gym…his eyes.
He catches me staring so I clear my throat and look away. He starts to walk towards me with that intense stare but breaks the machismo by flopping on the sofa where I’m sitting.
He playfully nudges my arm with his elbow and so I ask if I can interview him. His eyes light up as I begin to go past his abs, and the eyes, and try to get in his head…
If you want to read the full article, click here !




After waking up ...

"Even before I wash up, I go straight to my siblings’ rooms. I look at Avin first. My brother, Avin, came after me. Unfortunately, because of our schedules, I don’t get to see him as much as my two other siblings. Then I go to my mom’s room. I do this on days that I have work. When I wake up the earliest and I can watch them sleep. As the eldest child, I enjoy seeing all of them safe. And these are my stolen moments because I’m hardly ever home. When I don’t have work, I plan on doing many things but I end up in the gym."

























What he did with his first Pay Check???

"I didn’t buy anything for myself. I gave it to my parents. If I weren’t in this business, I’d be well provided for. So when I got my first paycheck, I didn’t need to buy anything urgently. I do remember getting myself a cellphone, but not with my first paycheck. Now, I give what I earn to my parents. Not because I have to but because I want to and it feels right. I enjoy the feeling of being able to volunteer and help in any way I can. Up to now, I can say that it’s still my family that’s taking care of me and not the other way around."

















His goal is .....


"Yes! That’s one thing I really wish for, that I get to stay here until I’m really old! I’ve learned to love my craft completely. And I always pray that this is the life I get to live with until I can. My goal is that when I’ve been here long enough, people will know me as a good actor, not just a hunk. I don’t know if I can maintain this look till I’m 60. (Laughs)"
















His plan and his ulterior motive...


"It feels good when the long hours in the gym are appreciated. Now, I feel that it’s all paying off. But like I said, I want to be known as a good actor. I want the people to tell me what they think, even if they don’t like my acting, so I can improve. So I know what to change."

"All of this will help me in my goal to stay in showbiz longer. Then I can make my other dreams come true. I want to start a foundation. I want to send kids to school. I was given that privilege by my parents and I want to do that for people who weren’t as fortunate as I was."

"I like seeing people happy because I’m happy."










"In the four years I’ve been here (Show business), there were moments when I didn’t feel so good about myself. I had a bit of an identity crisis. Not many knew what I was going through. But the people close to me know that I was very shy, growing up. But it was just a phase. Now I know that I’m exactly where I should be. There are things in life that are hard at first, but everything can be learned. That’s one thing I strongly believe in. There’s always an answer. Which is why I know who I am now."









If you want to read the full article, click here !

--------------------------------------
Special Thanks to
Students and Campuses Facebook Page click here

No comments:

Post a Comment