Tuesday, August 16, 2011

iStyled: Mikael Daez for Manila Bulletin 08/11/2011

New kid on the block

Article By JASER A. MARASIGAN
August 10, 2011, 3:27am
Read Full Story HERE

Model: Mikael Daez (Temptation Island, Amaya)
Photos by Jerico Montemayor
(Asst photographer: Cromwell Torio)
Styled by Jp Diche
Grooming by Rhina Montemayor
Clothes and Accessories from PENSHOPPE



MANILA, Philippines — Every now and then, newbie actor Mikael Daez would find himself looking back at his biggest heartbreak, at times even imagining about what life could have been like.
That heartbreak wasn’t brought about by unrequited love or a jilted romantic proposition though. Mikael calls it his very own “basketball drama.’’
“I watch a UAAP basketball game then it suddently hits me, the what could have beens. I thought, I want that to be me, and I regret what I did,” says Mikael, who was part of the Ateneo basketball varsity team since grade 5, until he had to leave the Blue Eagles team in college. Mikael only has himself to blame.
“I really love the sport until now. But I was lazy. I didn’t like practice. I didn’t have the right attitude and mindset going into it, which is really unfortunate because I felt I could have been successful.
Naiwanan na ako ng iba. It was only later on in college, after I left the team, that I realized the value of hard work,” relates the six-foot-tall Mikael.
Today, he is able to apply those lessons from the past, as he works as an actor. “It hurts, but it feels good now. I’m glad that the learnings that I got from that, I’m able to apply to my work and my life now. Modeling and acting are crafts and in any craft, you have to continuously work on it and improve. Right now, I’m just trying to take in what I’ve learned from school, from modeling, and applying it here,” he continues.

Read Full Story HERE

Mikael never had a concrete plan after graduating with a Business Administration degree from the Ateneo de Manila University last year. Joining showbiz was the farthest thing from his mind as he always saw himself either as an investment banker or an entrepreneur.
“I liked Math as a kid, and it kinda liked me back. We have a very good relationship. Eventually, I want my own deli or a pizza parlor. I personally feel that obligation to take care of my younger brothers and sisters and to help out financially because we’re so many. That’s how we were raised, to help out the family in any way you can,” relates the 23-year-old Mikael, the second among eight siblings.
                                                                     Read Full Story HERE

After graduation, Mikael tried ramp modeling and stood out enough to be noticed by Mercator modeling agency. After a string of commercials, he was offered to try acting, but was initially reluctant. “I was never really into the industry. I was detached. First and foremost, I have zero acting background. Secondly, everybody warned me about everything, sex, drugs, rock and roll. My family warned me paulitulit.
They just want me to come out of this alive and well,” he adds.
                                                                  Read Full Story HERE




Mikael admits that everyday, he still has to deal with apprehensions about his new-found career. Even his family and friends have their own apprehensions. “Were they laughing the whole time? Yes. Are they still laughing now? Yes. Will they be laughing tomorrow?
Yes. My family and friends know it’s not my choice of career when I was younger. At the end of the day, teasing and jokes aside, I have complete faith in them that they are going to support me and help me throughout this.”
The most important thing, he says, is to possess the ability to overcome these apprehensions.
“It is such a big shift from where I saw myself before, so I tell myself this is my job. It is still a business.
                                                                    Read Full Story HERE





“Now that I’m in the business and meet all these people, I really see the discipline that they put to their work. It doesn’t matter what kind of education you have, as long as you have the discipline, the work ethic, the zest for life, and that passion for what you do, that’s inspiring.”
As for his advice to young people who are yet to decide about their future?
“Just stay true to yourself. If you can maintain that truth, then I guess, you could consider your life fulfilling. It’s hard to dictate to other people what you should or should not do. If you have a clear mind, you’ll always know,” he ends.
Article from mb.com.ph

Model: Mikael Daez
Photos by Jerico Montemayor
(Asst photographer: Cromwell Torio)
Styled by Jp Diche
Grooming by Rhina Montemayor
Clothes and Accessories from PENSHOPPE

MORE Photos of Mikael Daez below!!




Thanks to Manila Bulletin (Students and Campuses Section), Jonas Gaffud of Mercator, and GMA Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment