Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My Biased Review of X-men First Class MUST MUST SEE!

Best X-men Movie Ever!!
----------------------------------------------

I just came from the advance screening of X-men First Class at SM Mall of Asia! People came and it's good they served some food before the screening.  Here are some pics!
 Here's my food and invite!
There are festive Cosplayers! (Chubby Wolverine 1, Ms. Marvel, and Chubby Wolverine 2)
  Oh! And there's comic book enthusiast, TV and stage actor/ Manila Bulletin columnist- Marco MaƱalac!!
-----------------------------------

Going Back!
Cast: James McAvoy (Charles Xavier), Michael Fassbender (Erik Lansher/ Magneto), Kevin Bacon (Sebastian Shaw), Nicholas Hoult (Hank McCoy/ Beast), January Jones (Emma Frost), Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique/Raven), Rose Byrne (Moira McTaggert)...

Yes, you read it right! I think it's the best X-men movie ever! The cast may not be as big as those in the First 3 X-men Movies yet (for me) it's the best! It's too good to be tagged as a Prequel!

The movie's premise revolved around the epic friendship of Erik Lansher (Magneto) and Charles Xavier. The movie started off with the Nazi scene, taken from the First X-men movie, where a young Erik was separated from his mother by German Soldiers. 

The movie showed totally different aspects of Professor Charles Xavier and Magneto. How they started off as young mutants and how human they are without compromising the fact that Charles is the good guy and Erik is the villain. It will make you understand the reason why Magneto is so bad, and will make you say 'I can't blame him" for being evil.

If you are an avid comic book fan though, I advise you to not expect that every bit of the story was translated to film, just like other Marvel Movies, there are bits changed. There are lapses on timelines if you will align it with the Wolverine Movie. But for a fan like me, everything is forgivable!

May I just say, that Michael Fassbender (Magneto) totally upstaged James McAvoy (Charles Xavier) in terms of acting! If not for the other X-men characters, I would think that I'm watching a Magneto Spin-off! He was so good!

Here are what I liked about X-men First Class...

I liked the fact that the cast is not as big as Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, James Marsden, Sir Ian Mckellen, and so on. I didn't have to focus on the cast and wait who has more lines or air time. The casting was toned down, and the scripting focused on the epic X-men issue of acceptance.

I liked the fact that I saw how my favorite X-men characters evolved from young fun-loving individuals to great powerful mutants. 

I liked that they showed the human side of Xavier. How he had fun when he was younger and how he used his intelligence to pick up girls!

I liked how they infused the Cuban Missile Crisis showing that there has been an intervention by Mutants during that era. Really cool! Makes me want to believe that it really happened.

I liked the effects, maybe not as CGI heavy as that of Thor, Ironman, and Spiderman, yet it still looks realistic.

I liked that, they were able to seamlessly squeezed a lot of major happenings between x-men and magneto without making it look like it's just to fill in some movie airtime!

I liked the Cameos (you guys should watch out for it!) and the fierceness of the characters!! January Jones' portrayal of Emma Frost leveled that of Rebecca Romijn's Mystique! Femme Fatale!!

Now, what else is there to not like about this movie?? Just like what I said about Thor- if you're a fan like me you will love this. If you're not a fan, you will still like it and will find it entertaining!

I will definitely watch it again this weekend!

ps: I didn't see Stan Lee in the film and there is no sneak peak at the end of the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment